Saturday, September 18, 2021

Spool Stars Lap Quilt

 I made this quilt following a tutorial by Jenny Doan. Like so many of her tutorials after watching it I cannot wait to try making the blocks. In this particular tutorial which she made with a jelly roll, she ended it by asking the question what would it look like if done in just two colors? Well I could not wait to answer that question and so I went out to the studio and grabbed red and blue and of course white muslin.


This set of two blocks is made by creating a strip set and then cutting it diagonally and sewing pieces back together. Just one strip set renders both unique blocks!


It's easy enough, but a little labor-intensive. However it delivers some very dramatic results. I made the quilt taller with some two and a half inch strips.


Using this technique to create nine blocks I had these leftovers which I used to make the backing wider. This quilt finished at 44 inches by 58 inches.

Finally I am getting better at free motion quilting and this was the biggest project so far I've used the technique on. I think it's my new favorite 

Update: SOLD on etsy

No comments: