Monday, April 1, 2013

Saint Francis

When I found the focus fabric in my favorite fabric warehouse in Anaheim (M&L) I was pretty excited.  Anaheim has THOUSANDS of fabrics and many are several years old and very unique.  They are piled in flat folds to the roof, and have a kind of dusty feel and smell to them.  The quality ranges from top-of-the-line to old, odd, poor quality finds.  Some of my favorites are mis-printed fabrics... truly one-of-a-kind!  Anyhow, this fabric had little scenes of Saint Francis!
Anyhow, in 2009, my husband and I found ourselves lost after our church closed, and we searched for a new home.  Despite not being Roman Catholics, we found a friend in a monk from the Franciscan Mission in Oceanside, who helped us heal from the loss of our church family of many years.  We were very sad when he left for his next assignment.  I made this quilt for him to take when he left.   We are able to see Brother Mark about once a year, and he still treasures his quilt and says it keeps him warm in Northern California, where he lives and works with homeless farm workers.

No comments: