Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Daffodils for Resilience Quilt

 I was invited to make a quilt to be auctioned at an annual meeting for a local non-profit that my husband works for. This year's theme was Resilience and Recovery. The person asking me to make the quilt mentioned that the daffodil is often considered a symbol of resilience because it is the first flower to bloom in the spring after the long cold winter.


I drafted the pattern after looking at several ideas on Pinterest, and getting some construction ideas from Jenny Doan at Missouri Star. 

I had only a few days to complete this quilt and the blocks had a lot of moving parts. So I completed nine blocks and used one of my dramatic circle of nine block settings to fill out the area of this lap quilt. To make the quilt longer I added a row on top and on bottom of flying geese blocks. I chose traditional colors for the daffodils yellows oranges with green leaves and the background fabrics have gray in them because gray to me indicates steel or strength.


I used 100% cotton batting, a bright quilt back, an an easy meandered free motion quilting. I googled DAFFODIL SYMBOLS and took a few notes to complete the description and inscription for this quilt. 


UPDATE: Sold at action for $120

No comments: