Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Economy Blocks

Square-in-a-square, or economy block. Solid, traditional blocks, made with charm squares as per a tutorial on Missouri Star quilts.  I simply sorted my dots/stars charms into "light" and "dark" piles.  Each block has 3 charms, so I alternated centers, one was light-dark-light, the next dark-light-dark.  Then the idea was to place a dark centered one next to a light centered one.  Uhhhhh, oops.  Somehow I mixed them all up by the time I carried them to the sewing machine!  So their placement is truly random.  By design, YEAH! I meant to randomize them!

I made enough blocks till I ran out of charms.  (I think I had 3 odd-numbered charm packs.) and then decided to place them in an asymmetrical light grey border.  Light grey......... I KNOW I had a piece of ligh grey in my stash!  Oh well, this sagey green says "SPRING!" nicely, so I used it!  I did diagonal stitches and in-the-ditch between blocks, then I just sort of quilted the border as I went along,

Since it's Springy, I used a very light weight polyester batting, so it has nice fluffy cuddle-ability!

I have not yet decided who this quilt is for, but I have someone in mind!  

No comments: