Friday, January 31, 2014

Granny Squares

Worked on this quilt off and on for about a week.  It is a large lap quilt, (54 X 62) for naps or an extra blanket on the bed at night.  Quilted with a 4" grid with a flat 100% cotton batting, it's warm and snugly.  It has 420 2" squares, 300 setting triangles, and I worked on it in bits and pieces over 7 days.

The fabrics included a charm pack and some clearance yardage purchased online.  Then some scraps to add some darker color into the mix when it was looking a little too light colored.  The binding was pulled out of my box of leftover bindings; 2 1/2 inch strips already folded, that gets tossed into the box whenever I have a piece left over from another project.  It includes a bright from a baby quilt, some Christmas fabric, a batik from a wedding quilt, and other scraps of treasure.


I didn't have a technique for making the blocks of the Granny Squares, I simply cut piles of 2 1/2 inch squares, white setting triangles, and then pieced each one right at the sewing machine according to the whim of the moment.  When placing them in the quilt, I just tried to mix up the colors,  The reds appear to have been the strongest color statement in the quilt, so I tried to spread them evenly around. 



No comments: