Sunday, June 10, 2018

Celestial Stars Quilt

I had a pack of charm squares that inspired this quilt.  The dark blues have stars and planets and swirls on them, and they contrasted so well with the mustardy yellow suns and swirls.  Then I saw the pattern on a Missouri Star tutorial... and the quilt idea was born!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oahqzxvUuDs


Now, my setting.  Not as originally planned.  I made 4 blocks at one sitting, and came back later and finished 2 blocks.  When I went to arrange the blocks on the table, I realized I had made mirror images of the sets.  They did not flow into each other they way they were supposed to!

So I decided to offset the blocks so their edges would not show that I had messed up the design.  I had only a 1 1/2" strip of the background fabric left over when I was done, so that was lucky I had just enough to set them!  The plan had been to make a 36" square for hanging on the quilt rack in the dining room, but the setting made it bigger, so I added a border and finished it as a lap quilt instead.  

It was gifted to a friend at church as a memorial quilt. 


No comments: