Monday, January 26, 2015

Making Memories

A friend brought me 2 old quilt tops, sewn many years ago by her mother.  This friend wished to divide the 2 tops among 5 family members, so each could have something made by her mother.  I told her they would be small, wall quilts, or table runners.  She agreed that would be the perfect size.  She said she preferred the blue quilt, but thought the rest might prefer the other quilt.

I was very excited to do this challenge!  Since it wasn't MY mother's work, cutting into it felt exciting, and I looked forward to seeing what I might render from these 2 quilt tops.  


I started by cutting out the center of the postage stamp quilt.  It was perfect, glorious, and I LOVED the color use.  I was very tempted to keep this one for myself, I loved it that much!
#4 was made from blocks cut from the 4 corners of the quilt.  #5, from blocks along the sides.  #3 also blocks from the sides, and I found a purple from my stash to make a centered design. #2 was the lone quilt made from the blue and white.  I carefully selected the blocks from the quilt that had a lot of variety, and a little brown stain to keep it real.  I machine quilted them all fairly dense, backed them with unbleached muslin, and gave them a gentle wash then into the dryer to wrinkle them up a bit.

This was a very fun project!

No comments: